Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day Nineteen - Phurther Philly Adventures

June 25 - This was a long but successful day. I got up at 7:00 a.m. to talk to my sister, who'd already left the house for work. My question related to where to go to have a blood sample taken for my anticoagulation therapy. Two voice mails didn't bring an answer, so I search my e-mail and found a message she'd sent a couple of weeks ago. I found the lab and had the sample drawn within an hour. Later in the day my nurse from Louisiana called to confirm the results--no change in treatment.

Last week we tried to visit Independence Hall in Philadelphia only to be told that there were no tickets left. We made a return trip yesterday and got tickets for the 2:15 tour. The look inside Congress Hall where both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were argued and approved was fascinating. A very large percentage of the building dates back to the 18th century when these events took place.

From Independence Hall (parking $17 for three hours) we drove through Center City to the Franklin Institute (street parking $3 for same time period). Ben Franklin, of course, is Philly's number one historical superstar. The Franklin Institute salutes the non-political side of this self-taught genius who invented both bifocals and the lightning rod.

The attraction yesterday had less to do with Franklin, though we did spend some time touring the scientific exhibits. The Institute features a traveling exhibit called "Real Pirates", all about sunken treasure recoved from the Whydou, a pirate ship that sank in a storm off Cape Cod in 1717. For all the lore about pirates and sunken and buried treasure, the Whydou, first discovered in 1984, is the only pirate ship from which anything has been recovered. Probably the most fascinating artifact was a leg bone from a 9-year old boy who sailed with pirate captain Sam Bellamy on the Whydou.

Kay and Sacagawea navigated the Schuylkill Expressway and Route 202 to get back from Philly to West Chester, and Kallie drove the last two miles from Genuardi's grocery store to the house. My brother-in-law was shocked when the car rolled into the driveway with both adults in passenger seats. There we enjoyed a home-cooked dinner and a couple of drinks, including a Kahlua and cream. I didn't stay up long after that, and missed seeing the Phillies break their six-game losing streak with a 4-0 win over Oakland. I also missed (more thankfully) several episodes from a Law and Order: SVU marathon. Both my brother-in-law and my daughter were watching this show--each on a separate TV.

No comments: