Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 32 - Summer in the City


July 8 - I hit the wall on Day 32 at of all places, Citizens Bank Park, home of the my beloved Philadelphia Phillies. We drove down from Brooklyn to Chester County without incident, but only had about an hour's downtime before leaving for the ballpark. My personal financial adviser had reportedly arranged with his college teammate, Phillies' reliever Chad Durbin for me to meet some of the Phillies players in the dugout before the game. We were told to be there at 5:30 p.m. We beat the target by 10 minutes, but spent the time standing outside in 90 degree heat waiting for the gates to open. Inside we made our way to the Phillies dugout, only to learn that the team was in a pre-game meeting. By the time they emerged it was game time. We had already headed upstairs to our seats.


I sat in my seat in the fifth row of the third deck between home and first, a great view of the field, despite being in the upper deck. The sun continued to bear in over the third base side of the stadium. In fact by moving upstairs we effectively moved the sun higher in the sky. In spite of the splendor all around me in Citizens Bank Park, including Ashburn Alley, a Phillies Hall of Fame and who knows what else, I had only enough energy to watch the game and take a few pictures. Bless her heart, Kay roamed the stadium to find cheese steaks and drinkable beer.


The Phillies seemed to be suffering from heat fatigue too, as they managed only six hits in a 2-0 loss. Every time they got a rally started, the batter hit into a double play, four in all.

Bless her heart, my friend June, who'd gone to the game with us, drove back to Chester County. I so looked forward to a Wednesday with nothing to do and no place to go before our travels resume southward on Thursday.

No comments: