Monday, July 14, 2008

Day 37 - Orangeburg Reunion


July 13 - We headed south from Myrtle Beach to Savannah, stopping along the way in Orangeburg, SC, where I lived and worked from 1977 to 1987. I showed the family my various residences and where I worked and played (softball and Frisbee golf), and we met an old friend of mine for a late lunch/early dinner. Kallie did her driving stint through rural SC between Myrtle Beach and Orangeburg. She was passed by 23 cars, most of whom were probably racing home from church to eat lunch.

In Savannah we played a game of Scrabble by the pool and then headed to the Riverwalk for a late snack. The Riverwalk is a fun collection of hotels, restaurants and shops on the Savannah River. Musicians and artists also perform, a la the New Orleans French Quarter. A blues guitarist invited me to sing a couple of songs with him--I did "House of the Rising Sun" and "The Ballad of Curtis Loew"--neither went quite as well as they did at Karaoke in New York--there I was more familiar with the accompaniment and had help with the lyrics. Still it was fun, and Erin shot some video. Maybe I'll have the courage some day to watch it.

Check out more pictures from Orangeburg and Savannah at http://www.photoblog.com/dadlak/2008/07/13/former-orangeburger-goes-home---day-37.html

No comments: